[RPZ] default masterfile-format in BIND 9.9+ has changed from "text" to "raw"

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Fri Dec 21 07:14:47 UTC 2012

> From: Fred Morris <m3047 at m3047.net>

> Comes to my attention that the default masterfile-format has changed from
> text to raw with BIND 9.9.
>
> I suppose shops with 1 million+ entries across zones ...

> Anyway, at the least this seems like something which should be noted so
> that people know: you need to set your masterfile-format, that is:
>
>   options {
>    masterfile-format text;
>   };

Why?  The third party policy zones I've seen are too large for light
reading.  For example:
  % named-compilezone -f raw -j -o - XXXX.YYY XXXX.YYY | wc -l
  zone XXXX.YYY/IN: loaded serial 1356072662
  OK
    665627

600K entries seems close enough to 1 million+ entries.

> Granted, ISC supplies, with the BIND distribution, tools to translate
> between the two.

When you do need to look for a particular name, why not use
`named-compilezone | grep ` instead of `grep` on the text format
that you've forced BIND to use?
There's also the issue of the journal file, since you're surely
using incremental zone transfers of the beasts from the masters.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com