[RPZ] Trojan.Spachanel - Using SPF records for malware signaling (problem for RPZ sinkholing?)

Paul Ferguson fergdawgster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 23:17:17 UTC 2013

Regarding:

> i think it won't matter as according to the below article it will only query 0-few day old domains thus none are likely to be RPZ listed

Actually, it has been a long-standing practice to extract the DGA from
the malware, recompile the generation code, and pre-generate the
domains so that they can blocked (or mitigated) on the date they will
be used.

This has been done with other malware which uses a DGA to generate
their C&C domains (e.g. Conficker, Mebroot/Torpig, et al.).

- ferg

"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawgster(at)gmail.com