[RPZ] RPZ &/or RL patches still needed for 9.9.3?

darx+dnsrpz at sent.com darx+dnsrpz at sent.com
Wed May 29 14:47:41 UTC 2013

hi vernon,

On Wed, May 29, 2013, at 07:30 AM, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> 9.9.3 and 9.8.5 have only been available for a few hours.

of course.  i'm not unreasonably asking where "where's the patch?", just
do we still NEED it  .... or is it 'in there'?

which, i'm still fuzzy on ...

if I plan to upgrade to 9.9.3, and want the 'same level of
functionality' (wrt RPZ & RLL) I've had with 9.9.2-P2 + the combined
patch referenced above, do I need to (eventually) patch 9.9.3 ?  or,
moving forward, are the patches only for new/additionally functionality
beyond what's already been integrated/implemented in 9.9.3?

just for context:

i'm trying to better understand 9.9.3's requirements & behavior to
troubleshoot my 1st experience with it ... a 9.9.3 build from source
went without a hitch, but *launching* it logs just a couple of RPZ zone
errors and an almost immediate "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for ...
seconds" error that kills any further logging, and prevents me from even
s/w rebooting the box, requiring a hardware power toggle.

drop back to a 9.9.2-P2+patch build/install/launch gets me back to a
perfectly working state.

darx