[RPZ] 9.9.3-rpz2+rl.150.20 fails to launch "due to assertion failure"

darx+dnsrpz at sent.com darx+dnsrpz at sent.com
Fri May 31 18:52:27 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: darx+dnsrpz at sent.com
>
> > we build countelss server apps, wrapped & installed by checkinstall with
> > nary a problem.  so far, only with bind993.
>
> No, only with BIND 9.9.3 only as far as noticed,

I'll respectfully disagree.

> I wouldn't be surprised if similar problems are lurking elsewhere.

BIND 993+patch, when "checkinstall-ed", fails to launch.  It does so on
every box we've tried it on.

NO other daemon on any other box 'round here fails to launch when
prepared/installed this way.  Or notifies any sort of error in any
verbose log that we keep/monitor.

And that includes bind 9.9.2-P2+patch.

> a packaging and installation system is completely responsible if
> it does not build the indentical a.out/elf/whatever and other files
> as the package from the vendor.

> Not locking up no matter what the application does is a major
> part of the description of "operating system."
> Building a container with the raw, unimproved, warts-and-all bits of
> the application is fundamental to the job of a packaging system.

I'm not going to disagree.

Another part of that packaging system is the ability to cleanly
UNINSTALL.

One might argue that auto-foo's `make install` has similar
"responsibilities" ... but that's philosophy, not bug-fixing.

The fact remains, it works for everything here except this 'new'
993-based endeavor ...

> My wild, uninformed guess is that the problems are related to how
> your organization uses checkinstall etc. and that others probably
> don't see them.

> Do you set as many checkinstall knobs and
> buttons as with BIND?

every daemon we build/wrap/install uses the same, simple, checkinstall
form:

   checkinstall -R --fstrans=no  --nodoc --pkgname=<PKG_NAME>
   --pkgversion=<PKG_VER> make install

it's been used in this manner for ages, with no troubles.

If there's something that's  suddenly causing checkinstall to lose it's
mind only in the case of 993, we'll find it.

darx