[DNSfirewalls] Of RPZ, PTR, and NXDOMAIN

Anne Bennett anne at encs.concordia.ca
Wed Dec 17 22:17:40 UTC 2014

Yes, I'm verbose this week, as I try to set up this new function!
Google is surprisingly unhelpful, which leads me to wonder how many
people out there are using RPZs...

Anyway, two issues:

(1) What do I do about queries for PTR records from a
    "quarantined" client (one matched by rpz-client-ip)?
    It doesn't make sense to redirect them with a CNAME like
    forward queries, but I see no way to make an exception
    for PTR queries in general.  There's no "query type"
    trigger.  Hmm, can I pass through based on a QNAME match
    on in-addr.arpa or ip6.arpa?  I'll try that when I get
    back from my Christmas vacation.

(2) When I quarantine a client such that all of its queries
    (except those for whitelisted sites) get a CNAME to a
    server under my control, then an NXDOMAIN (real) answer also
    gets translated to the CNAME.  I suppose this is logically
    consistent, preventing a quarantined client from learning
    anything at all, even the non-existence of a name.  But in
    practice, I think it could lead to unnecessary confusion.
    As far as I know, though, there's no way to match an
    NXDOMAIN response and pass it through.  Or is there?

Hope there someone out there!  If so, happy holidays to you!

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Sysadmin, ENCS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne at encs.concordia.ca                                    +1 514 848-2424 x2285