[DNSfirewalls] RPZ and client perception

David A. Evans Evans_David_A at cat.com
Wed May 28 21:39:07 UTC 2014

        We implemented RPZ with a purchased feed about a month ago on our
production DNS servers.   As expected from our testing and pilot there
were a few immediate issues which we have taken care of.   However, we are
still getting a trickle of complaints about slowness and failures that
appear to be related to the RPZ and the amount of time it takes to
complete all the extra queries for the NSDNAME checks.   When we research
these issues they seem to fit into 2 groups.

        1.   DNS zones with "slightly" broken infrastructure.  These would
be domains with either slow response from one or more name servers or not
responding name servers.  A recursive resolver without a RPZ loaded can
work though the issues and provide a timely response to the client.
However, the extra lookups required, primarily for the NSDNAME checks,
amplify what would be a "minor" DNS issue and increases the query time to
the point where DNS times out from the client perspective.    I can't
really see a fix here,  the issue does reside with the domain owner, we
are simply more susceptible to the issue because of the RPZ's.

        2.  DNS zones with a large number of NS records and the name
servers have FQDN's in several different DNS zones. I found some where the
2nd and 3rd level domains have a different list of NS records in various
unrelated domains.  These have primarily been non business related sites
that I don't care about, however, here is a simple real world example:

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;banque-france.org.             IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
banque-france.org.      600     IN      NS      indom80.indomco.hk.
banque-france.org.      600     IN      NS      indom30.indomco.fr.
banque-france.org.      600     IN      NS      indom20.indomco.net.
banque-france.org.      600     IN      NS      indom10.indomco.com.

        These are the most frustrating as there is really nothing wrong
with this setup in my opinion.   This, by design, is just going to
generate a large number of DNS lookups to do a full NSDNAME check.  These
are hard to explain away as they "work from home" and "work from my
phone".  These are also difficult as they are region specific.  For
example:

These times are from recursive resolvers, physically located around the
world, setup with root hints only, a empty cache, and a RPZ loaded that
includes a NSDNAME check.  I ask each of them for www.banque-france.org.
This lookup requires ~30 individual DNS lookups to complete the NSDNAME
checks.

                no RPZ  RPZ
Europe          20ms    70ms
US              30ms    350ms
China           90ms    900ms
Australia       110ms   1400ms

        I understand the queries and latency amplification behind these
times.  But due to poorly written web applications, anycast \ load
balanced DNS servers that do not share a cache, and generally short TTLs
on nearly every hop in this particular lookup, it takes a web site that is
very usable globally before NSDNAME checks to one that is only usable in
Europe.

        Have others found similar issues when implementing RPZ's?
     What have you done to mitigate them?
     Is there a RPZ log event that says "It took over (X) seconds to
complete this query because of RPZ"?  Basically, I got a good answer back
for the 'real' query but I did not provide it to the client within X
seconds because the RPZ check was still ongoing.  I can imagine there
would be a huge amount of noise in those messages but they could
conceivably be acted on before the client calls with an issue.

David A. Evans
Enterprise IP/DNS Management
Network Infrastructure Tools and Services