[DNSfirewalls] A non RPZ DNS firewall question

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sat Jul 30 00:35:40 UTC 2022

Francis Turner via DNSfirewalls wrote on 2022-07-29 16:52:
> At least I don’t think it’s an RPZ question because I don’t believe it
> is part of the spec.

right.

> Is it possible in Bind or other DNS servers to filter based on RRTYPE
> e.g. always replying NXDOMAIN to TXT queries or for that matter to other
> arbitrary TYPEXX queries?

not easily though it's common in load balancers (which are buggy).

nxdomain is about the name and can't depend on the type. yet:

https://github.com/dns-violations/dns-violations/blob/master/2018/DVE-2018-0004.md

i suggest posting a dnscap trace to dns-operations@ to get more eyes on it.

--
P Vixie