[dnstap] creating infromational RFC

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Thu Jun 8 06:08:03 UTC 2017

On 06/07/17 19:33, Robert Edmonds wrote:
> Before we get started on an I-D, I think it would be prudent to get an
> answer to whether an RFC (even an informational RFC) can specify
> something that depends on an unspecified wire encoding like Protocol
> Buffers 2.
>
> E.g., there are plenty of RFCs that specify an XML format and cite a
> non-IETF standard (XML is apparently under W3C change control), so it's
> no problem to write an I-D that depends on another standards
> organization's spec. But TTBOMK there's no actual specification for the
> PB2 wire format.
>
> The simplest thing to do would be to find an RFC that specifies
> something in terms of Protocol Buffers and use that as precedent, I
> guess.

If your looking at moving to something other then Protocol Buffer I
would say use CBOR (RFC 7049) and either use a schema or register a tag.
CBOR is more or less a standardized MessagePack and it is equal to
Protocol Buffers.

Or maybe the RFC should describe the data structure and not how it is
"packed" or transported?

Cheers,
Jerry