[dnstap] creating infromational RFC

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Mon Jun 12 06:30:21 UTC 2017

Hi Robert,

On 06/09/17 17:06, Robert Edmonds wrote:
> I do think it is worth specifying the dnstap data model and
> serialization profiles separately. Otherwise the spec wouldn't be much
> more than a .proto file with comments.

+1

The informational RFC can describe the reference implementation that
exists in protobuf but looking at the data model it can easily be
described in CBOR, JSON, XML, YAML... well, whatever really and you do
not need to wait for v2.

Something that v2 of DNSTAP could do is to extend the data model to
describe the DNS message deeper then just the wire-format.

Cheers,
Jerry