[dnstap] IETF104 Hackathon dnstap projects

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Thu Mar 28 08:25:29 UTC 2019

Hi all,

On 3/19/19 12:50 PM, Jerry Lundström wrote:
> I will be attending the hackathon before IETF104 this weekend in Prague
> and have added a couple of suggestions for projects around DNSTAP which

Here is a short summary of the hackathon outcome and the discussions
around the projects I added.

TL;DR: protobuf and fstrm usage is fine.

W.r.t. using CBOR instead of protobuf:
- protobuf is not a problem for anyone
- CBOR could have a positive performance impact (preliminary tests
showed 20-25% faster but might be related to protobuf-c)
- replacing protobuf with CBOR will be hard, all tooling needs to be in
place beforehand

W.r.t. fstrm usage:
- no problem with the design (srv connecting to cli)
- fstrm recently got updates, TCP writer support etc
- fstrm actually helps if migration to CBOR would be done, you can dual
support DNSTAP over protobuf and CBOR at the same time and let the
client/server negotiate what to use

Cheers,
Jerry