[dnstap] Adding response policy information in dnstap

Chris Mikkelson cmikk at fsi.io
Mon Feb 1 20:50:36 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 09:38:31PM +0100, Pieter Lexis wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I haven't digested this fully, but there's a small error in the .proto:
>
> On 2/1/21 7:59 PM, Chris Mikkelson wrote:
> >
> > 	// Policy: information about any name server operator policy
> > 	// applied to the processing of a DNS message.
> > 	message Policy {
> >
> > 	    // The matched value. Format depends on the matched feature .
> > 	    optional bytes value = 2;
> > 	}
>
> Should be '5'.

Good catch, and fixed. Thanks!

This was left over from an earlier revision which had 'value' in another
message / compound type alon with the corresponding match type, with the
goal of recording multiple matching elements for the report, as in:

	message Policy {
  	    message Match {
	        enum Type {
	             .. QNAME, etc.
	        }
		optional Type type = 1;
	        optional bytes value = 2;
	    }
	    repeated Match match = 4;
	}

This is slightly more complicated than simply storing one match+value pair
but is an option if desired.

Thanks,
--
Chris Mikkelson