[dnstap] dnswire 0.3.x released

Jerry Lundström jerry at dns-oarc.net
Thu Feb 3 09:49:36 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Last week I released v0.3.0 of dnswire to update it with the new DNSTAP
.proto for the new message types, socket protocols and the new Policy
object.  There's also been a few patch releases since then due to
problems with deb packages (sorry, my bad).

   <https://github.com/DNS-OARC/dnswire/releases>

So what is dnswire?  Well you could call it "a C library like
fstrm+DNSTAP but with less restrictions and no built in network model".

dnswire lets you read and write DNSTAP via file descriptors and buffers.

It does not include any network model, so if you want to communicate
over UNIX sockets or TCP you need to do that yourself - but that also
lets you fully hook DNSTAP into whatever event engine you are running.

It's also not restricted on which way DNSTAP flows or if it's over Uni-
or Bi-directional connections.  This means you can have the producer of
DNSTAP (nameservers) listen for clients to send it to instead of the
current fstrm model where it must connect to something.

I've made a bunch of examples, please feel free to check them out:

   <https://github.com/DNS-OARC/dnswire/tree/develop/examples>

dnswire is used in the DNS Statistics Collector (DSC) to add DNSTAP
support and is enabled by default in our packages.

Cheers,
Jerry