[ratelimits] duplicate and rejected mail

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Fri Jul 6 21:12:16 UTC 2012

You probably got at least 2 (and in one case 3 copies) of a message
of mine to this mailing list.  I'm sorry about them.  They were the
victory sign of my wrestling with the interaction between my fairly
simply sendmail configuration and the CNAME for lists.redbarn.org.
Sendmail rewrites CNAMES, I suspect to comply with section 5.2.2 of
RFC 1123.  Until I added
   define(`confDONT_EXPAND_CNAMES')
to the .mc files for *both* the main sendmail.cf and the submit.cf files,
my mail to this list was being rejected.

If you are having the same problem with your submissions to this list,
if you use sendmail, and unless you have CNAMEs for any the domains
for which you send or relay mail, similar changes might be useful.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com