[ratelimits] not really release notes

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Wed Jul 25 18:02:42 UTC 2012

These are not release notes, but they might answer questions
about the increased size of the patches on
http://www.redbarn.org/dns/ratelimits

The changes in the new patches include:

   - new "nxdomains-per-second number;"
   - new "qps-scale number;" to adjust the rate limits based
       on current total qps rates
   - new "exempt-clients  { address_match_list } ;"
       as an alternative to using views to exempt some DNS clients
       from rate limiting
   - a given response is counted or considered for rate limiting
       once
   - NXDOMAIN counting is done against the apex name
       initially, later, and even when NSEC or NSEC3 records are
       present
   - differences in the defaults for some parameters between the code
       and the documentation have been resolved by changing the code

The new features are documented in the fragment of draft ARM text
mentioned on http://www.redbarn.org/dns/ratelimits
I've attached a copy of the new version of that HTML to
this message, because that page is impermanent, as its "temp" name
suggests.  However, I don't know whether Mailman is configured to allow
HTML attachments for this list.  I tend to turn off attachments
to deal with spam and because Mailman used to not deal with
attachments gracefully.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com