[ratelimits] Rate limiting works ...

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Jun 14 15:44:54 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-14 11:49 AM, Chris Thompson wrote:
> There doesn't seem to be much on this mailing list yet!

indeed not. it's early days yet. the subscribers thus far (which are
also visible to you through the mailman UI) are:

cet1 at cam.ac.uk
daniel.stirnimann at switch.ch
dmiller at tiggee.com
dot at dotat.at
georg at tld.ee
herbert at faleiros.eti.br
jamesraf at amazon.com
marco.davids at sidn.nl
paf at frobbit.se
paul at redbarn.org
rnavarro at tusprofesionales.es
stephen.vickers at accumuli.com
vjs at rhyolite.com
yasuhiro at jprs.co.jp

> This is just to report that we have turned on rate limiting on our
> authoritative nameservers and it has reduced the output traffic
> resulting from the current attacks to nearly normal levels. The
> input traffic has increased, perhaps as a result,

i'm interested in the fact that the input traffic has increased. this
sounds like retry logic on the sending side, which in turn means you're
either not being attacked, or you're being attacked through something
that can retry. so it's not some kind of packet blaster. can you
characterize your input load, perhaps post a snapshot of your query and
rate limit logs here?

also can you describe the magnitude of the input and output numbers with
and without rate limiting?

paul