[ratelimits] error in amplification attack

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Nov 13 19:58:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:53:43PM -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:
> $ dig . axfr @xfr.lax.dns.icann.org | awk '$4=="NS" { print $1}' | sort -u

Sure.  As long as the present heavyweight regime for the root zone
remains in place, that'll work.  (I don't know why it is any more
valuable than just sending the referral or refusing to answer,
however.)  I think it unlikely to be sustainable, however.  Once the
current experiment in root expansion succeeds (and it will), we'll be
well down the road to a flat namespace, as the price for a root
delegation is bound to come down.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com