[ratelimits] error in amplification attack

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Nov 13 22:17:19 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 03:25:04PM -0500, Joe Abley wrote:

> With two updates per day

[…]

> I appreciate exaggeration for effect, but let's not be gratuitous :-)

It's actually the "2 updates per day" arrangement that I doubt will
continue.  One of the, uh, "innovations" I participated in with the
launch of .info was the speed with which your registration of a new
name in .info would be live on the network.  Within a year, all the
other large gTLD operators either were offering the same behaviour, or
were trying to figure out how they could.

In a bit of work completely unrelated to this discussion, I'm having
Yet Another Painful Discussion With Pony-wanters with respect to the
root zone.  Those people aren't going away, and there is no evidence
whatever that the Internet has the ability to tell them, "No."  After
the evaluation panels are finished in this first gTLD round, and after
the string similarity panel has been reduced to rubble by a
well-placed lawsuit, I think there's about an even chance that
real-time registrations under some sort of checklist regime will
happen.

Anyway, that's more than a year away, so I guess there's no reason to
worry about it now.  Alternative universes remain possible, and I
don't really want to turn into John Klensin this young, so I'll
cheerfully concede that dig and awk are just fine tools for
maintaining your private list of TLDs for the foreseeable future.
Given previous experience, I doubt that people actually will do that
mainteance, and I still don't understand how all this overhead is
preferable to either sending a referral or an empty response, but
probably I'm missing something.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com