[ratelimits] error in amplification attack

P Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Wed Nov 14 03:34:05 UTC 2012

A referral from a signed zone to a signed sub zone will include a signed ds rr set. Ns rr sets and glue a or aaaa rr sets by comparison are not signed in the parent and therefore not signed in the delegation response. Nor will there be any dnskey records or nsec records. But signed delegations will still be uncomfortably large when received from some orbital death ray projector when it receives a spoofed query flow with your source address.

An upward delegation is actually a protocol error but a lot of older servers especially bind do send them. Oops, sorry about that. They should never be signed though.

Paul