[ratelimits] CH/TXT/id.server queries rate-limited

paul vixie paul at redbarn.org
Fri Oct 26 04:43:49 UTC 2012

On 10/26/2012 2:48 AM, Jay Daley wrote:
> Either you are rate limiting at X qps in which case it should stop in
> the first second where the traffic is < X or you are actually
> describing the use of multiple buckets as I described previously.

neither.

> To put it simply, if you stop limiting 60 seconds later then you are
> actually talking about X qpm not X qps.

the log is 60 seconds late because that's how often idle buckets are swept.

but there's more to that answer.

the window size describes the dimensions of a penalty box. the victim's
bucket gets some tokens every second, and it loses a token for every
attempted response. when the bucket contains zero or negative tokens,
negative if more responses are suppressed than tokens credited each
second, up to a maximum of "rate * window". this effectively means that
if somebody is pounding the hell out of a bucket they can remain in the
"stopped" state for "window" seconds after their behaviour improves.
thus, a penalty box of "window" dimension.

all of this is explained at
<http://ss.vix.com/~vixie/isc-tn-2012-1.txt>. readability patches are
welcome.

paul