[ratelimits] CH/TXT/id.server queries rate-limited

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Fri Oct 26 06:06:58 UTC 2012

> From: Jay Daley <jay at nzrs.net.nz>

> > The "stop limiting" messaages should only happen when either
> >  - 60 seconds after rate limiting stops
>
> Or are you just talking about the limiting behaviour and not the
> generation of log messages:
>
> Either you are rate limiting at X qps in which case it should stop
> in the first second where the traffic is < X or you are actually
> describing the use of multiple buckets as I described previously.  To
> put it simply, if you stop limiting 60 seconds later then you are
> actually talking about X qpm not X qps.

I also wrote:

} In other words, even if fence-posting is happening, it should not
} be visible in the log messages.

Consider that stream of 11/9/11/9/11/9/11/9/... requests.  If you don't
use hysteresis (when possible) on the "stop" messages, you get a "start"
or a "stop limiting" message every second and more complaints about
too many log messages from people running big DNS servers.
(It's not possible if you're not allowed enough buckets to delay
stop messages.)

> > } For example, if I wished to launch a reflection attack then I would not
> > } be bothered by a server running a rate limit of 10qps, I would just
> > } find 1000 such servers and use all of them at once.  With the current
> > } RRL implementation I could happily run this attack for hours or even
> > } days.

> I wasn't talking about sources, I was talking about servers - multiple
> servers from different operators being harnessed simultaneously.

My mistake.
However, there is no practical number or kind of rate rate limiting
buckets that solves that problem without what I think are intolerable
false positives.  For example, while no single simple host is likely
to ask for most RRsets 5000 times in 3600 seconds (e.g. your bucket3),
a block of IP addresses (and especially a block of IP addresses involving
carrier grade NAT) might easily send more than 5000 requests/hour for
a popular domain name.

A separate problem with the idea of rate limiting that can detect
a stream of 5000 responses in 3600 seconds is that you would need
to keep a bucket for every IP address block seen for 3600 seconds.
At 100 qps that is a modest 360K buckets and no more than a few
MByte of RAM.  At high query rates, you start needing more RAM,
which gets back to what I suspect is causing this complaint about
many "start" and "stop limiting" log messages.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com