[ratelimits] rate limit vs querylog

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Fri Sep 28 14:09:29 UTC 2012

> From: Richard Doty <rad at twig.com>

> The reason I asked about turning it off is that I am getting these
> messages much more frequently than once a minute.  If the log is to be
> believed, I see a "continue rate limit" message logged after each query
> that is being rate limited.  I guess that's not expected, presumably I
> have made an error and will look again.  Thanks for clarifying.

} From: Mathieu Arnold <mat at mat.cc>

} I was seeing that in my case, there were thousands of these every second,
} and it filled up my /var partition pretty quickly. Had to do a logging {
} category queries { null; }; };

That sounds like the widely disliked behavior of a previous version
of the patch.

`named -v` with the current version of the patch from
http://www.redbarn.org/dns/ratelimits should say something like
"BIND 9.8.3-vjs192.16-Px" or "BIND 9.9.1-vjs197.15-Px"

If the current version is still to noisy, then something more needs changing.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com