[ratelimits] RRL logs understanding

Ferran Donadie donadie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 12:05:57 UTC 2013

* Vernon Schryver <vjs at rhyolite.com> [2013-08-22 13:21:33 +0000]:

> > From: Ferran Donadie <donadie at gmail.com>

[...]

> > What in the logs appear is that even with 1000 response-per-second, I'll stop
> > answering not abusive queries.
>
> None of those log messages report dropping or "slipping" any responses.
> "Consider limiting" means "think about limiting".  You get those
> messages only with high debugging levels.  While debugging the code,
> I found those messages useful, because they indicated that me that the
> code was doing the right thing even when it did nothing.

I see now, I was missing the drops and slips because the level of debug
logs.

> >                                It also seems to me that RRL is counting too
> > many queries that don't match if I monitor the service with dnstop.
>
> What do you mean by that?

Forget it, it does all makes sense, I was misreading the logs.

Thank you for your help.

--
Saludos,
Ferran Donadie.

It would seem that evil retreats when forcibly confronted.
		-- Yarnek of Excalbia, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.5