[ratelimits] rpz add_nm Warnings

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Tue Aug 27 21:24:00 UTC 2013

> From: Justin T Pryzby <justinp at norchemlab.com>

> I believe Debian considers it a best practice to specify --enable-*
> configure options, even in the default case.  That causes a graceful
> failure in the case the build environment changes somehow, rather than
> creating packages with features enabled non-deterministically.

I've been of the opposite school since before Linux existed.  I've
seen more problems created by the "Set Everything to What is Claimed
by Someone to be Default" school than by my "Configure Only As Absolutely
Required" school, both as a software producer and as a user.  Perhaps
my school is better called the "Avoid Fiddling With What I Might Not
Understand" school.

For example, --enable-ipv6 makes no sense to me.  Either Debian supports
IPv6 well enough and standard enough for the BIND configure script to
discover as much, or --enable-ipv6 is likely to result in an installation
that does not work.  I've been distributing an unrelated package since
before Linux properly supported IPv6 and so had --disable-ipv6 the
default for Linux until several years ago.)

And it's not as if those settings cover a significant minority of the
far too many knobs and buttons you'll see in `configure --help`

Never mind the settings you won't see from the 9.9.3-P2 `configure --help`.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com