[ratelimits] Finding the pool

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Wed Feb 13 01:07:09 UTC 2013

> From: Tristan Goguen <tgoguen at ilap.com>

> I've been trying to find the source pool in one of latest unix =
> distribution so that I can do:
>
>   Run "patch -p0 -l" while standing in the BIND9 source pool
>
> but I've had no luck so far. Any hints would be appreciated.

I doubt I understand the question, because my answer is:

  % cd /tmp
  % mkdir bind
  % cd bind
  % fetch ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.9.3b1/bind-9.9.3b1.tar.gz
  % pax -rzf bind-9.9.3b1.tar.gz
  %
  % cd bind-9.9.3b1
  % # now standing in the BIND9 source pool for BIND 9.9.3b1 referred to
  % # by http://www.redbarn.org/dns/ratelimits
  %
  % fetch  http://.../rpz+rl-9.9.3b1.patch
  % patch -s -p0 -irpz+rl-9.9.3b1.patch
  % ./configure ...
  % make

Notes:
  - wget, curl, ftp, lynx, and other commands can be used to
     instead of `fetch` to fetch the BIND tarball and patch file

  - you could use a 9.8.4-P1, 9.9.2-P1, or 9.8.5b1 tarball instead of
     9.9.3b1

  - alternatives to `pax -z` include
      gzcat bind-9.9.2-P1.tar.gz | tar -rf -

  - look for a hyperlink to the web page with links to the matching
     patch file on the relatively stable http://www.redbarn.org/dns/ratelimits
     The ultimate URLs are obviously not secret, but it's best to not
     publish them in a mailing list like this where search engines
     will find them and then try to fetch them years after the patches
     are obsolete and deleted.  Major search engines, especially one
     related to Redmond, WA, are still trying to fetch files I named
     then deleted from a "temp" directory more than 10 years ago.

  - In theory, one could modify any of the patch files to apply to
      any fairly recent version of BIND redistributed by a third
      party such as FreeBSD.org or one of the Linux repackagers.
      In practice, that is at best unlikely to be fun.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com