[ratelimits] RRL vs other approaches

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Feb 20 11:00:16 UTC 2013

Vernon Schryver <vjs at rhyolite.com> wrote:

> I'm probably being stupid.  Why wouldn't it be a good for a recursive
> server to request ANY when talking to an authoritative about a client's
> request for MX, A, or AAAA in the expectation that the client is
> likely to eventually ask for one of the other record types?

(Going further off topic, sorry.) Well that's a counterfactual rather than
a real-world use of ANY queries, but if you tried it you would have to
weigh up the advantage of getting more data using ANY against the
disadvantage of losing alias and additional section processing. Note that
queries for A and AAAA (etc.) can be made concurrently, but fetching the
targets of aliases and MX records requires sequential queries. So in some
cases an ANY query will be slower than concurrent specific queries.

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.