[ratelimits] Remarks regarding the Knot DNS 1.2.0 RRL implementation

Marek Vavruša marek.vavrusa at nic.cz
Tue Mar 5 17:22:11 UTC 2013

On 5 March 2013 09:25, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:
> can i ask, as before, that we all implement the same idea for now, just to
> give our deployers a chance to have all of their servers work the same way?
> if there's a flaw in the rrl spec, let's discuss it immediately. if there
> are better ideas, let's discuss those less immediately.
>
> in particular, any rrl attempt that uses simple buckets rather than bucket
> chains, is going to alias many tuples into one set of counters, and thus be
> incorrect per the current spec. the spec does not call for hashing at all,
> but what it does say is that the set of counters shall be denoted by a
> certain tuple. if you're denoting by a shorter tuple, you're not
> implementing rrl.

I agree more less. BIND RRL also aliases many tuples into one set of
counters, it's just less
probable. I don't feel like this is too much important, RRL is not a
silver bullet and I take it as a very clever yet simple way to combat
a problem nowadays, not as as thing that's meant to last.
And if there's a possibility that two flows will share a same limit
(unpredictably and time limited)?
I would be okay with that, if it works reasonably well otherwise.
But I also understand if anyone disagrees.

> bands, classifiers, separate limits for large responses, are all ideas worth
> considering... later, after we've got feature parity.
>
> paul

This is just about "how to identify flows", but it sounds reasonable.
Let's see what the deployers think first.

Kind regards,
Marek