[ratelimits] rate limiting recursive server

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Wed May 8 22:07:20 UTC 2013

On 18/04/2013, at 2:13 PM, Vernon Schryver <vjs at rhyolite.com> wrote:

> That implies that the server isn't used by SMTP servers, HTTP clients,
> or other applications that send bursts of identical DNS requests.

Does anyone know of any studies done or other evidence that would help understand exactly what would break (or slow down) if RRL were used on a recursive resolver?  For example has anyone looked at traffic being received by a recursive resolver, identified bursts of identical DNS requests and then analysed those to find out what the client is that generates them and what percentage of their traffic they are?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I get the impression that caching is increasingly being added to clients either directly in the code or indirectly through the OS and so over time bursts of identical DNS requests will reduce in frequency as clients are upgraded?

cheers
Jay

--
Jay Daley