[ratelimits] rate limiting recursive server

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Thu May 9 14:14:22 UTC 2013

The problem that I ran into is that different queries in the same domain
were all considered the same by the RRL code, so a single client loading a
web page could easily hit the limit and be slowed down by the
dropped responses.  If you set the "IPv4-prefix-length" to "32", and "slip"
to "1", and a high "responses-per-second", it might be workable, but I have
not dared to inflict it on my users yet.

If I open a browser (that I think does local caching) and go to "hp.com"
note that for example a query for "h10120.www1.hp.com" is seen by RRL as
another of many queries for "hp.com", and gets rate-limited:

09-May-2013 10:01:48.165 queries: info: client MY-IP#55435: query:
h10120.www1.hp.com IN A + (MY-DNS)
09-May-2013 10:01:48.165 queries: info: client MY-IP#55435: drop referral
to 141.213.135.0/24 for hp.com IN A  (000030ec)

If I could fix it so that RRL is based on the actual query, or the complete
response, being the same, then it would probably work reasonably for a
recursive server, with caching clients.

--
Bob Harold
hostmaster, UMnet, ITcom