[ratelimits] Logging category

Alan Clegg alan at clegg.com
Tue May 14 00:10:16 UTC 2013

On May 13, 2013, at 6:40 AM, Masato Minda <minmin at jprs.co.jp> wrote:

> On 2013/05/13 22:12, Vernon Schryver wrote:
>>
>> However, I see that many SERVFAIL and FORMERR errors are logged in the
>> query-errors category with severities of "debug 1" and "debug 3".
>>
>> Should the RRL slip and drop move logging from the query category to
>> the query-errors category with "debug 1" or "debug 3" severity?
>
> I like this feature!
>
>> Is it too late to change?  Are too many RRL installations parsing
>> logs for RRL events?

With the configuration abilities of BIND, even if it is in a different category, it can be stored into the same file, thus:

logging {
        channel query_log {
                file "logs/query_log" versions 5 size 1M;
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
        };

	category queries { query_log; };
	category rrl { query_log; };
};

Yes, change in configuration but no change in parsing code (unless you "print-category yes;" and then you only make one change in your parsing script...

Please put me down as a +1 for a new, distinct category for RRL logging.

AlanC
Alan Clegg | +1-919-355-8851 | alan at clegg.com