[DNSfirewalls] domaincontrol?

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Tue Aug 27 15:12:43 UTC 2013

> From: Robert Edmonds <edmonds at mycre.ws>

> > You probably don't want to do that.  Domaincontrol is GoDaddy, who
> > service many millions of legitimate domains.
>
> hopefully the redbarn.org mailing list server uses a different resolver,
> or ~3% of the subscribers to this list have suddenly stopped receiving
> posts.

GoDaddy has always been among the service providers that prefer to to
outsource their abuse handling to unpaid volunteers among the targets
of their abusive users or customers--that is, when GoDaddy isn't
knowingly and willingly sending unsolicited bulk email as with their
old QuickSizzle service.  No customers or users of such providers
should be surprised at ebbs and flows in the usefulness of "free"
or loss-leader services.

Perhaps related, I've seen an increase in spam from another such
provide.  The most recent Gmail spam that got through my filters
came with a "DCC Reputation" of 38%.  That means that 38% of the
mail reported to DCC from that particular Google IP address during
the preceeding 30 days was bulk, or had messages bodies very similar
to mesages sent to other mailboxes.  My personal account uses a
ridiculously high DCC Reputation threshold of 40% so that people
can ask about DCC, but 38% is close enough to 40% to suggest things
are probably working better now for me, if not for Gmail users
trying to communicate interesting offers to me.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com