[dnstap] suggested optional fields for DNSTAP

Joseph Gersch joe.gersch at secure64.com
Thu Feb 26 17:49:03 UTC 2015

Hello all,

   I would like to suggest two optional fields for the DNSTAP schema.

   The first one has already been discussed, but I don’t see it in the schema yet:  a boolean for CACHE-HIT/CACHE-MISS.

   The second one is to generate  a unique GUID  for and store it for each CLIENT_QUERY.  This GUID would also be stored with each RESOLVER_QUERY and RESOLVER_RESPONSE.   This would allow an analysis of a DNS TRACE to determine operational issues with long recursive resolutions.  It is insufficient to just have bailiwick or domain name, because once the recursive resolution starts chasing a CNAME or chain of NS delegations, the domain name changes.  Some recursions can take 10-70 lookups to get full resolution.  Having a GUID to tie them all together would be very useful.
  Comments, suggestions, criticisms are welcome.

 - Joe Gersch
    Secure64 Software Corporation