[dnstap] dnstap status

Merike Kaeo merike at doubleshotsecurity.com
Fri Mar 29 22:11:02 UTC 2019

embedded...
> On Mar 29, 2019, at 9:19 AM, Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 17:13, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org <mailto:paul at redbarn.org>> wrote:
> i heard folks talking about dnstap as abandonware, during ietf prague,
> and planning a rescue.
>
> If that was one of my conversations you overheard, we were actually talking about the dnstap *draft* being abandoned, not the software.  I'm one of the authors on that and have set it aside for about a year now because I wasn't getting any help.  Some offers of help materialized this week, and I have high hopes that we'll be trying to get it rolling again.

That is great news.  I had to abandon work when family needs became priority and there was noone else shepherding and moving the work along.  All who were part of the meetings over a year ago at DNS-OARC and IETF was always greatly appreciated.  It just needed someone to be the lead and driver.

> The plan was always to document the current state in an independent stream RFC, and then come back and -bis the thing in DNSOP with some more eyes on the protocol.  I'm aware of some ongoing discussions about what that might look like, including reducing or removing the dependence on protobufs.  That seems, to me, to be preliminary but I expect it'll make its way to public discussion before long.

Cool.  I still care although am now on sidelines (still have family as priority…..life events usurp volunteer work).  Nice to see this pick up.

- merike