[dnstap] dnstap status

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Fri Mar 29 16:19:12 UTC 2019

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 17:13, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

> i heard folks talking about dnstap as abandonware, during ietf prague,
> and planning a rescue.

If that was one of my conversations you overheard, we were actually talking
about the dnstap *draft* being abandoned, not the software.  I'm one of the
authors on that and have set it aside for about a year now because I wasn't
getting any help.  Some offers of help materialized this week, and I have
high hopes that we'll be trying to get it rolling again.

The plan was always to document the current state in an independent stream
RFC, and then come back and -bis the thing in DNSOP with some more eyes on
the protocol.  I'm aware of some ongoing discussions about what that might
look like, including reducing or removing the dependence on protobufs.
That seems, to me, to be preliminary but I expect it'll make its way to
public discussion before long.