[ratelimits] I-D-ing rate limiting?

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue Apr 16 21:49:54 UTC 2013

Joe Abley wrote:
> On 2013-04-16, at 15:44, Geert Jan de Groot <GeertJan.deGroot at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> I think perhaps the time is right to make an Internet Draft
>> about RRL?
>>
>> I'd like to be able to point to an official document at some point
>> in the future.
>
> I think it's too early for that. It feels like most of the operational experience we have is anecdotal, and we have (to date) three separate implementations which all differ slightly.
>
> My opinion is that we need more time before we bake the spec in concrete.

i am mostly +1 to joe here, except that i'd like to document what we
have, pour concrete around it, and encourage new experiments that work
very differently. i think the end of this calendar year is about the
right timing on it.

noting also, there are defects and omissions in the current "spec" which
i'll address shortly.

paul