[ratelimits] rrl mention in an nlnetlabs tech report

Marek Vavruša marek.vavrusa at nic.cz
Mon Aug 26 08:50:46 UTC 2013

On 26 August 2013 09:52, Matthijs Mekking <matthijs at nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 08/23/2013 10:13 AM, Yasuhiro Orange Morishita wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've found a presentation slides made by the author.  Thanks for google.
> > <http://rp.delaat.net/2012-2013/p92/presentation.pdf>
>
> This presentation is not about the RRL measurements. This is a small
> research done by on of our other interns, and is about using Visual
> Analytics to discover DNS abuse.

This piqued my interest, is there any research in progress about flow
identification in real time?
I wonder if we could (with some accepted error) differentiate an attack
flow from legitimate queries.
I mean, assuming that the spoofed packets flow through the same path, the
frequency of the the incoming packets should be quite regular + there could
be other markers in the IP header.
All this could be used to calculate the probability of the "slip" (i.e.
query that is likely to be a part of the attack would be more likely to be
discarded without slipping an answer).

> The presentation on the RRL report is here:
>
>     http://rp.delaat.net/2012-2013/p29/presentation.pdf
>

> >> Made by one of our interns.
> >
> > Your intern is great.
>
> To be precise, the research was done by two interns.
>
> Best regards,
>   Matthijs

Best,
Marek