[ratelimits] Interesting error message.

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Sun Feb 3 15:52:57 UTC 2013

Looking for more information or suggestions on this error.

I don't think that this is related to the rrl or rpz patches as I have seen this on a bind 9.8.4 server without this patch.  No leading error messages, just suddenly getting this error.  Nothing in the logs to indicate anything happened prior to this.  My current remedy is to restart named.  Named is reloaded at least once a month when we download a new copy of the root hints file.

I compile from source downloaded from ISC and add the rrl/rpz patch.  I also download the roots hint file once a month and restart named at that time.

I have seen this happen on servers that do not run the rrl patch. On this server, the external view has about 250 authorative zones and the only recursive traffic is from our in office computers.  We have another view, only as a backup to the internal views for a company I consult for.  This other company has servers to serve out the internal view of life at their location and does no external recursion(recursion is internal only) and has no views and does not run the rrl patch. I have seen this same error there.

Not always the same root server, btw.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.

9.8.4-rpz2+rl005.12-P1

Feb  2 00:18:44 ns1 named[4054]: checkhints: view external: d.root-servers.net/A (199.7.91.13) missing from hints
Feb  2 00:18:44 ns1 named[4054]: checkhints: view external: d.root-servers.net/A (128.8.10.90) extra record in hints
Feb  2 00:23:49 ns1 named[4054]: checkhints: view external: d.root-servers.net/A (199.7.91.13) missing from hints
Feb  2 00:23:49 ns1 named[4054]: checkhints: view external: d.root-servers.net/A (128.8.10.90) extra record in hints