[ratelimits] new RRL patch includes RPZ patches

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Tue Jan 8 18:58:08 UTC 2013

> From: Mathieu Arnold <mat at mat.cc>

> As Erwin said, he added the RRL patch to the bind98 and bind99 ports, which
> I'm so grateful he did, I won't have to think about it again when upgrading

The previous versions of the RRL patches for BIND9 9.9.2-P1 and
9.8.4-P1 are still where they were and so the FreeBSD bind98 and
bind99 ports will work as they ever did--at least up through 9.9.2-P1
and 9.8.4-P1.

> On the topic at hand though, I don't use RPZ, mainly because I did not know
> about, and I now that I do, I know I won't need it.

Since you don't use RPZ, why do you care whether RPZ is also patched
when you patch RRL?

If only because of certain issues with "masterfile-format fast", I
would not be surprised if one of the RPZ patches appeared in an official
ISC release before the RRL code.  If that happens, would you want a
patch to remove the RPZ changes?--of course not.

> I understand that it may be a pain to maintain separate patches, but if the
> RPZ patch changes the stock RPZ functionnality, people using the stock RPZ
> and needing the RRL patch would be at loss.

That seems to assume that I would knowingly break upward compatibilty
for RPZ and not say anything about it,
or that the RPZ changes are utterly and completely untested,
or that I'd not instantly look for fixes for new RPZ bugs.
I know that those sorts of tactics are common in some circles, but
I consider them grossly incompetent and unprofessional.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com