[ratelimits] rate-limiting enabled by default for CH class?

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Thu Jun 6 18:33:28 UTC 2013

> It seems that rate-limiting is enabled by default for the CH class.

To be specific, it's enabled for the _bind view, containing the zones
authors.bind, version.bind, hostname.bind and id.server.

> Is that intentional?

Yes.

> I don't see any documentation to that effect.  If so, is
> there a way to disable it completely?  Say, something like:
>       rate-limit { no; };

You can create your own copy of the _bind view in named.conf, setting
whatever options you like; it will override the defaults.  I don't
understand why you'd want to do that, though.

view _bind chaos {
        recursion no;
        notify no;
        allow-new-zones no;

        # Prevent use of this zone in DNS amplified reflection DoS
        # attacks
        rate-limit {
                slip 0;
                min-table-size 10;