[DNSfirewalls] rpz firewall + whitelisting

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Tue Aug 27 17:16:04 UTC 2019

On 8/27/19, Vadim Pavlov <pvm_job at mail.ru> wrote:
> Just in case.
> Do not forget that every single rule consumes memory. It is ok for hundreds
> or a few thousands indicators but it may be an issue if you have more or a
> low end server. E.g. I’ve tested with 2.5M RPZ rules (2 rules per indicator)
> - bind9 consumes 1.2Gb-2Gb of RAM, PowerDNS about 600Mb.

FastRPZ uses significantly less memory per rule, but the point is
valid.  2.5M rules is not an impossible number of RPZ rules.  I think
some of Spamhaus' policy zones are about that large.

Please let me point again at
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-rpz-00.txt
That document is supposed to say all that can be said about RPZ without
needing to look at any code.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com